Easy conversation starters to show Mighty Girls that you care about her mind, her feelings, and her fascinating self!
'Tis the season for holiday gatherings, which means starting conversations with friends and family you don't see very often — including little girls. At such times, no matter how dedicated you are to girl empowerment, it's all too easy to fall into the stereotypical, appearance-based comments as a way to break the ice, especially with younger girls. After all, we've all spent years being taught by society that the best way to start a conversation with a little girl is to praise how pretty her dress is, how sparkly her nails are, or how cute she looks. However, with many girls developing body image concerns as early as 1st grade, it's time to move past a fixation on girls' appearances. And, of course, as we all know, girls have so much more to contribute to the conversation — all we have to do is ask!
To encourage more engaging discussions with the Mighty Girls you meet, whether during the holidays or any time of year, we've put together a selection of simple questions perfect for breaking the ice with young girls. These questions draw on a far wider range of interests than mere appearance, and will show girls what really interests you: her mind, her feelings, and her fascinating self!
Conversation Starters For Mighty Girls
- What's your favorite thing about holiday parties?
- Who are you most excited to see this holiday?
- Does your family have a holiday tradition you love?
- What's your favorite thing to learn about?
- What is your favorite book?
- What is your favorite movie or TV show?
- What is your favorite thing about yourself?
- Who is your best friend? What are they like?
- What are your favorite hobbies? What do you like to do for fun?
- What do you want to be when you grow up?
- Do you have any pets? Tell me about them.
- If you could play any instrument, which would you choose?
- If you could travel anywhere, where would you want to go?
- What do you love to draw, paint, or color?
- What is your favorite toy/stuffed animal?
- What's your favorite song to dance to?
- What's your favorite thing about your home town?
- If you could visit any period in history, when would it be?
- If you could meet anyone in the world (past or present), who would it be?
- If you could ask your hero one question, what would it be?
- What is your favorite fairy tale?
- If you were a scientist, what would you want to study?
- If you were an inventor, what do you wish you could invent?
- If you could have any superpower, what would you choose? What would your superhero name be?
- If you could live in any imaginary world, which one would it be?
- What sport have you always wanted to try?
- What's your favorite thing to pretend?
- What's your favorite animal and why?
- If you were famous, what would you want to be famous for?
- What do you think is the most interesting job in the world?
- If someone gave you $100, what would you do with it? What if they gave you $1,000,000?
- What outdoor adventure would you most like to try?